Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My time in Eng 111



Greetings,

The experience I had in English 111 with Mr. Paul Gasparo was a rewarding one. I've taken Eng 111 before at another school but my credits didn't transfer over, for some reason this class was actually much harder then the other. It was much harder but I also learned more that I can take with me into future classes. I learned alot in the class ranging from filling my decided writing with juicy descriptions to correctly formatting work cited references at the end of a paper. We watched a couple of videos which was very beneficial as well. The biggest area of improvement for me is the area of Rhetorical analysis', here we studyied three different areas pertaining to writing. In the study of these areas we learned how to better appeal to the senses of the intended audience of the article being read. First we studied, Ethos, which means credibility. Whatever the subject written about, throughout the paper there should be words and phrases refering to sources that makes the article or paper (whatever it might be) a credible one. For instance, if I'm writing about basketball, it would be a wise choice to reference a saying from Michael Jordan to make my paper more credible. Second, we visited pathos, which means emotions. Emotions are the voice of a paper, our aim here is to give explanation that cater to the emotions of the reader. Also we attempted to explain in detail how whatever we were writing about has affected us emotionally. This causes the paper to be filled with detail and flow that captures the audience making the peice entertaining. For example, if I wrote a paper about a time where I was sentenced to prison. In the paper I give great details on the way I was feling when I first got arrested. I was sad and overwhelmed, nervous and impatient my heart beat was seen through my shirt... That was just a taste lol! Lastly we focused on Logos, which is the logic of the writing. We must ensure that the writing is logical and not some nonsensical expression causing us to look foolishly and thusfar loosing our audience. Amongst learning this, I also learned how to carefully and vividly explore my writing and make revisions. Because of this, in the future, me being an English Major, will now be well off and able to teach others. The class participated in debates and intellectual discussions where I received a wealth of knowledge as well. This pretty much sums up my experience in this class, one I'm glad I had!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment